Common name: White Fronted Amazon (aka Spectacled Amazon)
Latin name: Amazona albifrons
Length: 26 – 28 cms / 10 – 11 inches
Weight: 190 – 250 grams
Life Span: up to 50 years
Origin: Mexico and central America (through to Costa Rica)
Noise Level: Noisy! But quieter than their larger cousins.
These little birds are very social and enjoy the companionship of humans as well as other Amazons. They do make a wonderful companion, however they do need to be well socialized at a young age to different people and new situations, or as they age they can become rather shy. This can lead to problems of fright and stress, resulting in aggression etc.
This is not common in these Amazons, however through stress or depression, it can happen.
Housing for your White Fronted Amazon Parrot
- The larger the cage, the better.As a rule the cage size should be a minimum of 60″ x 36″ x 24″.
- The cage should be situated in a part of the house where the bird will have lots of contact with people, in other words a high people – traffic area.
- As many toys as possible should be provided especially if the bird is left alone most of the day.
- They should be allowed a minimum of 3 – 4 hours out of cage time per day.
Feeding White Fronted Amazon Parrot
- In the wild their diet consists of fruit, berries, plants, seeds and nuts.
- It would be best to feed your White Fronted Amazon on a high quality pelleted diet, supplemented with a good seed mix and daily servings of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Provide some extra protein in the form of boiled egg
- Fresh clean water should be available at all times. Food and water dishes should be washed daily.
In summarising, although the White-fronted Amazon is the smallest of all the Amazons, it thinks that it is the biggest! These dynamic little birds have no concept of their size.
An interesting fact is that the White fronted Amazon is sexually dimorphic in that the sexes can be distinguished by visual appearance. Males have bright red feathers on their shoulders / linings of wings and the females have green shoulders / wing linings.